While there is something stunning and timeless about a matching suite of furniture in any room, you don’t need every piece to match. In fact, looking at even more traditionally furnished rooms will feature a number of furniture pieces that act as an accent to most elements.
Whether it is a different chair, end table, or even a feature piece like a sofa, there is always a focal point.
Should All My Living Room Furniture Match?
There is nothing wrong with a beautiful matching set of sofa and chairs, but feel free to mix and match style, color, and textures throughout your seating, table, and storage selections. Antiques, contemporary, retro, and mid-century designs can all work together with a little bit of forethought.
Using a variety of different furniture can improve a space by:
- Visually define separate areas of the living space
- Increase the visual appeal of the room
- Provide balance and contrast within the room’s style without additional decor
- Ensure seating and surfaces are tailored to your needs
The important thing with any selections you make is that you like them. The living space you are creating only needs to work for you; it should make you happy and feel at home.
Ways to Mix and Match
Settle on a unifying theme and carry that throughout all your selections. This theme can be as simple as a color palette or a particular type of wood finish that repeats across multiple furniture pieces or decor. Having a few items like color or finishes coordinated across the room can keep everything cohesive while still being unique and fun.
- Color is the easiest and most striking way to implement a mix and match style. Select a color scheme and use upholstered accent pieces to pull in large pops of analogous or complementary colors.
- Texture can be used to add a more subtle visual shift to a living space. If you are looking for upholstered furniture and are set on a specific color selecting different fabric types allows you to mix and match without changing the visual draw of a furniture piece.
- Materials like wood, metal, and glass all have durability and functional differences, but they also impact the visual design of a room. Furniture construction material is one of the easiest to keep consistent throughout your pieces but can also be a fantastic way to set a single accent piece apart.
- Details can sometimes make all the difference. This tip works for upholstered seating options as well as solid ones. Slight differences in stitching patterns, like diamond versus linear padding stitches or the design of the backs of your chairs. These small details can provide a very limited visual difference if you want to keep things subtle.
- Weight and proportion of furniture can be used to balance a space visually. A dainty end table next to a weightier sofa can help a room from feeling overstuffed or too empty.
You can design enclosed living rooms however you like, but open floor plans need to consider the other adjoining spaces. You can make the living area distinct, but it shouldn’t be a jarring transition from the kitchen or dining space.
Implementing Your Furniture Selections
How you implement or layout your furniture selections and style of the room can go a long way toward helping a mix and match style work visually. We have mentioned visual balance a few times already, and that is precisely what you need to create. Take the time to plan your furniture layout.
There are a few easy rules to follow that you will see across most living rooms when experimenting with a layout that works for your space:
- Arrange sofas and chairs facing each other for comfortable conversation
- Allow a continuous pathway through the room that is three feet wide
- Place TV screens on walls that don’t have sun glare if possible
- Side tables usually pair next to either side of the sofa
Even if you mix a lot of different styles, patterns, or colors, repetition can help the space still look polished. Repeat the patterns and aspects of your mix and match furniture throughout the room. Use your other decor to help with this, like area rugs, art, and curtains.
A Handcrafted Timeless Living Room For You
If you are looking for a stunning and well-crafted contemporary piece of living room furniture, check out our online catalog. We have been hand manufacturing steel furniture for over 40 years and pride ourselves that every piece is as much a piece of art as a functional piece of furniture. Each piece of Johnston Casual furniture is a unique item made to order for our customers.
We offer a wide range of metal finished and upholstery options for our pieces, meaning you can get a truly unique piece that will seamlessly fit your home and style. Find a furniture dealer near you to order a one-of-a-kind piece that will last you a lifetime. We ship all over the United States and internationally.